Heifer USA is aligning all of its education programs to better meet the needs of farmers.
- In the past year, we have provided training and supported access to processing and markets for more than 700 farmers. In the months ahead, we plan to expand these programs and make them available to more farmers.
- Heifer Ranch is also continuing to scale its livestock program, raising cattle, hogs, sheep and poultry for Grass Roots Farmers’ Cooperative, using small batch, regenerative farming. The livestock program has created a live classroom for farmers, and a place to pilot and improve sustainable agricultural methods.
- We believe this is where Heifer USA can add the most value to farmers, filling the gaps in support and expertise they need to make their farms more successful.
- With our focus on farmer training and support, we have decided to end public education programs at the Heifer Ranch. This will allow us to increase our impact with farmers in the South and beyond, establishing Heifer USA as a leader in sustainable agriculture.
- This decision was a difficult one. We are grateful for the contributions that our colleagues and volunteers have made in support of our shared mission, as well as the support from groups across the country – and particularly the Perryville community – that have visited the Heifer Ranch.
- Heifer USA works with small-scale farmers to help them transform their communities and build sustainable livelihoods.
- With hands-on learning and access to livestock and horticulture experts, we teach farmers how to grow their sustainable farm enterprises, while protecting the environment and strengthening local economies.